Tuesday, November 13, 2007

1 Corinthians 1:18 - Ten Reasons Not to Become a Christian

630pm11-11-07.mp3

Passage: 1 Corinthians 1:18
Originally Preached: 11/11/07 - 6:30pm Service - St Stephen's Anglican, Belrose
Series: Cafe Church Evangelistic

Description: There are many reasons not to become a Christian, the message of the cross probably being the greatest.

Comment: I had been working on this sermon for a little while. I'd decided after chosing the passage that I thought it'd be interesting to do a sermon about why not to become a Christian. I figure that most evangelistic preaching is about how good being a Christian is. In 1 Corinthians 1 Paul presents this view of the gospel that is at odds with much of our preaching today. We spend a lot of time trying to justify the gospel to non-believers. But Paul's saying it doesn't make sense. It is not wisdom as the world sees it. I wanted to spend some time looking at the gospel from the perspective of the world. Partly because it was fun, but also because if we can see the foolishness of the gospel then maybe we can see the glory of it as well. When we can fully grasp how counter to the values and thinking of the world the gospel is then well be a lot further along the way to having a good grasp of what an amazing thing has been done for us in Jesus.

I got help for my 10 reasons from the readers of my blog. It was fun having an interactive sermon. I kinda felt like I had all my blog reading friends there helping me out. It was an enjoyable community effort.

At the end of the sermon you may notice that I tell people that Jesus is their opportunity to move from "life to death". I regularly make that mistake. People get what I mean but I always seem to stuff it up. I got it right earlier in the sermon. One day I hope to not get life and death back to front.

All up I was happy with this one. I felt a bit more like I was back on my game after the last one. Plus this one was relatively easy to write. I had it finished by 5:30pm on Saturday which gave me time to go out with my friends. It was a lovely feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home