Friday, September 18, 2009

1 Peter 2:9-12 - Being Different

CrossWay1Peter2v9-12.mp3

Passage: 1 Peter 2:9-12
Originally Preached: 28/06/09 - CrossWay Church, Ocean City MD
Series: One Off

Description: You are different, so be different.

Comment: This was a sermon I preached at my friend Nathan's church in Ocean City, Maryland. I blogged about the experience here.

You'll notice that seeing as I am preaching in the USA I decided it would be enjoyable to play up my Australianess. Hence the references to Funnel Webs and the Crocodile Hunter. Who am I to not play up to the stereotypes?

The message itself was a re-write of one I had done a few weeks before at a camp reunion. I think I liked this message better, I got to spend more time on it.

Speaking of time the sermon itself is 42 minutes. When I asked Nathan how long I should preach for, he said I should preach for as long as it took to say what God had given me. Or something like that. I enjoyed the freedom and the chance to say everything I wanted to say. But I think I generally prefer the restriction of a time limit. It forces you to remove waffle and be more succinct. That said, I've been preaching longer this year. I'm not sure why that is.

As far as execution goes, I still need to learn to slow down and learn the value of the dramatic pause.

I enjoyed visiting CrossWay. They were a friendly bunch and I appreciate them letting me preach there. If you're ever in the area you should go visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home