Sunday, June 20, 2010

Busting Sex Myths - Part One: The World

BustingSexMythsP1.mp3

Passage: Genesis 2:23-25, Ephesians 5:25-32, 1 Corinthians 6:9-20
Originally Preached: 15/04/10 - Seminars - Soul in the City - Newcastle
Series: Busting Sex Myths

Original Conference Description: The world has a lot to tell teens about sex, not all of it’s true. We’re gonna use the Bible to punch a few sex myths in the mouth. See why sex is better than you thought, and why waiting till marriage is just as good as sex within marriage, just not as much fun.

Comment: This message is a seminar I did at Soul in the City 2010 for Soul Survivor NSW. I was asked to do a series of seminars for teens, two days I spent dealing with sex.

I originally gave it in church as a sermon, which only went for 30mins. This time I broke it into two halves, dealing with the world's myths first, and the churches myths second.

I gave the seminar in a grand stand by the side of an oval. It was probably one of the strangest places I've preached in (perhaps in the corn field in rural Kenya was the weirdest), and it was a little hard to focus on the group, and on my notes. Usually I just ignored the notes, because they were along way away, and there was no room for lecterns in the grand stand funnily enough.

All up I was happy enough with this talk. The intro section seems go for about 10 minutes. I was perhaps relaxing in the fact that I had 2 hours to get the material out, rather than 30 minutes.

It does feel a bit weird giving a talk on sex when you're single, but like I say, I aimed it a unmarried teens, and I'm pretty experienced at not being married.

There is so much material out there on sex, and so much that could be discussed. I felt like I only really covered half of what I could have said. But that's probably true of most topics.

This is also the first time I've included a talk with questions. I quite enjoy the Q&A thing, but I worry I waffle on too long. If I do, feel free to just skip all that.

Some of the best materials I had for prep were (and if you're a preaching nerd you'll notice where I quote them), Mark Driscoll's sex Q&As, Tim Keller's series on Sex, Marriage and Singleness, the book "The Meaning of Sex" by Dennis P Hollinger and "Getting Real: Challenging the Sexualisation of Girls" by Melinda Tankard Reist. They're all worth checking out.

That's all I have to say about that. I hope you enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home